Braised Chicken with Pomegranate – Recipe and Video
This flavorful braised dish incorporates pancetta and a variety of root vegetables for richness. The pomegranate seeds brighten the flavor and color of the dish, adding another layer of depth. A definite crowd pleaser!
Yield: 8 servings
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs and/or drumsticks (~2.5 pounds)
• kosher salt
• ground black pepper
• 4 ounces pancetta, diced small
• 2 onions, sliced
• 5 carrots, cut into ½-inch slices
• 1 fennel bulb, cut into ½-inch dice
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 6 sprigs parsley
• 6 sprigs thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 cups light red wine, such as pinot noir
• 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
• zest of 1 lemon
• 1 cup pomegranate seeds
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. Season chicken with ~1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper then place chicken in pot in a single layer. Sear chicken for ~5 minutes then flip over and sear the other side for ~5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
3. Add pancetta to the dutch oven and saute, stirring often, ~5 minutes.
4. Add onions, carrots, and fennel to the dutch oven and saute ~5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute ~1 minute.
5. Add parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and wine to the dutch oven. Bring liquid to a boil and deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom to loosen any brown bits.
6. Add broth and return chicken and pancetta to the dutch oven, bring to a low simmer, cover, and transfer to the oven. Cook for 45 minutes.
7. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a cutting board, large bowl, or platter and cover with foil. Discard parsley, thyme stems, and bay leaf.
Check out more of my recipes for Bloom Fresh, they’re sure to be crowd pleasers. Need a colorful, delicious vegetable dish? Try my Goldenberry Salad. Looking for a tasty, simple dessert or homemade gift? My Pomegranate Chocolate Bark is sure to please.