I love pickled veggies, they are a great way to brighten a dish or help cut through fat. In this chickpea salad, the pickled onions brighten without overpowering the other ingredients. This can be a side dish, perfect with grilled chicken and corn, or serve it as a vegetarian main dish for lunch or a light supper. The cucumbers and tomatoes add a nice, fresh summer feeling to the meal as well. This chickpea salad also is perfect as a packed lunch to bring to work or school.
- 1 red onion sliced into half moons
- 2 cups White wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dill
- Zest of a lemon
- Juice of a lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 hothouse cucumber diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ¼ cup olives sliced in half
Place onion into container with vinegar and seal, set aside or place in refrigerator.
Place oregano, oil, dill, zest, juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add vegetables to bowl and mix well. Top with pickled onion.