I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I love hummus, especially one that’s as creamy and flavorful as Sabra. I had a great time working with Sabra, so many amazing flavors! AND it’s National Hummus Day – woo hoo!
I’ve been on a lentil kick lately and wanted something tasty that is also a hearty, nutritious vegan dish. This Lentil Shepherd’s Pie uses Moroccan spices and Sabra’s Roasted Garlic Hummus instead of mashed potatoes. The result is full of flavor and plant-based protein – plus it’s vegan and gluten free. This is a great part of any meal – try it as a side dish for extra protein and veggies or as the main dish.
Enjoy! Let me know how you like it!
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
Yield: 4-6 servings (as main), 8-10 servings (as side dish)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups lentils (I like French lentils, but use whatever you prefer), rinsed
8 cups vegetable stock
1 10-ounce container Roasted Garlic Sabra Hummus
1. Pre-heat overn to 350 degrees F.
2. Place pot over medium heat, add oil, onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic, carrots, and celery and saute ~5 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper, and salt and cook ~1 minute, stirring and blooming spices.
4. Add lentils and 4 cups of stock, deglazing pan. Bring to a boil then cover and lower to a simmer. Cook ~15 minutes then check back and add more stock as necessary. Cook until lentils are tender, ~30 minutes, and use up to 8 cups stock as needed.
5. Transfer lentils to a 9×13-inch casserole dish. Spread the Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus on top of the lentils. Bake until golden brown on top, ~30-40 minutes.