Pink Pancakes: Recipe and Video
These pink pancakes get their vibrant color from pureed red beets. Delicious, nutritious, and fun for the whole family! Perfect for this Valentine’s Day – or any day, really.
1 pound red beets
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 tablespoons maple sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
3 cups buttermilk, plain kefir, or plain yogurt
½ cup pureed beets
1/2 cup milk
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash beets and wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil. Place in oven and roast ~60 minutes, until cooked. Once cooked, allow to cool enough to handle then rub off skin under running water and cut into smaller pieces. Place into blender or Vitamix and puree until smooth. Note: these can be roasted and/or pureed ahead and kept on hand.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, beets, eggs, and milk.
4. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat.
5. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to blend gently. Stir until just mixed, be careful not to over stir.
6. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/3 to 1/2 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.