Recipes for Recovery: Black Bean Egg Bake
Synergy from lycopene in tomatoes and olive oil. The tomatoes in this dish contain lycopene, an antioxidant that is more effective when cooked. In addition, it is best absorbed in conjunction with a healthy fat such as olive oil. Olive oil is a fat that is satisfying and filling, which helps to decrease cravings.
Makes 4 serving(s)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
½ jalapeno pepper, diced
1 ½ cups tomato, diced
1 ½ cups black beans, drained
½ tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp kosher salt
¼ cup scallions
1 pinch ground black pepper (to taste)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350˚ F.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add garlic and jalapeno and cook until fragrant.
3. Add the tomatoes and black beans.
4. Season with cumin and salt.
5. With the back of a spoon, make slight depressions in the mixture and crack the eggs into them
6. Top with black pepper and place into the oven for about 7 to 8 minutes to finish cooking the eggs.
7. Garnish with scallions.
Total fat 4g
Saturated fat 1g