Recipes for Recovery: Chipotle, Bean & Barley Chili
Excellent source of magnesium from beans. Magnesium supports the maintenance of normal muscle and nerve function. This is important to support the daily physical activity needed for successful recovery.
Makes 4 serving(s)
1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
¼ cup onion, chopped
½ cup green or red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste, no salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon chili powder
5 ounces vegetable stock, low sodium
3 oz (1/4 can) pinto beans, no salt added
3 oz (1/4 can) chickpeas, no salt added
3 oz (1/4 can) black beans, no salt added
3 oz (1/4 can) northern beans, no salt added
¼ cup barley, pearled
6 oz tomatoes, diced, low sodium
2 ½ teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup chipotle pepper, chopped
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon raw honey
1. Sauté onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil
2. Add tomato paste and sauté for another minute. Add cumin and chili powder to create a paste.
3. Add vegetable stock, beans and barley. Cook for 15 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and cook for another 40 minutes until barley is tender.
5. Add cocoa powder, chipotle pepper, honey and water (to loosen if necessary). Salt to taste.
Total fat 3g
Saturated fat 0g