Sloppy Joe’s: Recipe & Video
The Sloppy Joe sandwich. Simple, tasty, and comforting. My twist on this family favorite includes mushrooms, adding texture, flavor, and nutrients without taking away from the deliciousness of the sandwich. I also swap out ground beef for ground turkey thighs, keeping moisture and flavor intact, but decreasing the saturated fat in the dish.
How would you put your own spin on this class dish?
- 16 ounces white mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup low sodium ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 10 ounces ground turkey thighs
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
Combine mushrooms, 1 teaspoon oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt in skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until soft, ~10 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, cook until browned 10-12 minutes. Transfer to food processor and pulse until finely ground.
2. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms, cover, cook until onion softens, ~10-12 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cook ~30 seconds.
3. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, water, Worcestershire, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to simmer and keep heat low and reduce until sauce thickens, ~15 minutes.
4. Add ground turkey, break up meat, and simmer until cooked through, ~10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve on buns.