The top dishes this week were my NYC Smoked Salmon “Everything Bagel” Penne and Roasted Golden Beet Soup. You can find my Penne recipe here (http://www.culinarynutritioncuisine.com/smoked-salmon-pasta/), and my soup recipe below.
This sunny soup is a perfect way to warm up in this seemingly never ending winter! Beets contain Betalains, a unique source of phytonutrients that help provide anti-inflammatory and detoxification support as well as antioxidants. The fennel gives the soup a touch of mellow sweetness and its own special blend of nutrients and immune support. Throw in a piece of crusty bread and you’re good to go! Woo hoo! Enjoy!
Roasted Golden Beet Soup
Yield: 6 servings
• 1 pound golden beets
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 large onion, diced
• 2 carrots, peeled and diced
• 1 celery stalk, diced
• 1 fennel bulb, diced
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• ½ cup fresh orange juice
• Lemon juice (optional)
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash beets and wrap them individually in aluminum foil. Place in oven and roast ~60 minutes, until cooked. Once cooked, allow to cool enough to handle then rub off skin under running water and cut into smaller pieces.
2. While beets are roasting, heat dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat, add oil. Saute onion until translucent, ~3-4 minutes. Add carrots, celery, fennel, and salt. Saute for 8-10 minutes. Add ginger and saute for ~1 minute.
3. Add broth, bring to a boil then cover and lower to a simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add contents of pot and beets to a vitamix or blender and puree until smooth. Add orange zest and juice. Taste and add salt and/or lemon juice if needed.