With busy lives and jam-packed schedules, we need to remember the importance of staying fueled! Go-to snacks are great to have around the house, packed in your bag or stashed at the office for when blood sugar gets low and a hangry mood is on the horizon. I’ve compiled a list of my best gluten free snacks to help keep you satisfied throughout the day!
What is Gluten Anyways?
You’ve probably been hearing more and more about gluten free products and gluten free snacks these days, but maybe you’re not sure what gluten even is. Gluten is a type of protein that is found in wheat, barley, and rye. It plays a role in the texture of foods containing these ingredients, and gives baked goods like cake, bread and muffins structure as they bake. Gluten can also be found in products that wouldn’t normally contain gluten, like processed meat, candies or marinades, as a way to alter texture or as a thickener.1 Because of this, it’s important for those who require a gluten free diet to pay close attention to ingredient labels!
Why are People Eating Gluten Free?
Gluten free foods and products are necessary for those who suffer from celiac disease, which is an autoimmune disorder that can ultimately lead to small intestine damage when gluten is ingested. Another issue that some might suffer from is a gluten sensitivity, which can cause stomach symptoms (like abdominal pain or joint pain and swelling) when gluten containing products are consumed. Thankfully, there are now lots of gluten free snacks and other products available for those who suffer from these issues!
Naturally Gluten Free Snacks
Some of the best snacks around are already gluten free!
- Try popcorn with your favorite seasonings (parmesan cheese, everything bagel seasoning, or fresh cracked black pepper!).
- Nut mixes are great to have stored away in your purse, backpack or car (they can last up to 3 months at room temperature). They’re tasty and will give you a boost of heart healthy fats.
- Roasted chickpeas are a perfect on-the-go snack—they really satisfy that salty, crunchy craving and also loaded with fiber and protein to help fill you up.
- Cut up fruit and cheese also make for a hearty, gluten free snack if you have access to a refrigerator throughout the day!
Recipes for My Best Gluten Free Snacks
- Cheese Crips: This easy to make, one ingredient snack will solve your mid-afternoon hunger with 10 grams of protein in just 2 crisps! The calcium in this snack also helps keep your bones and teeth healthy.
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: Hummus is the perfect smooth and creamy dip for snacking throughout the day. This roasted red pepper hummus recipe is quick, easy, and provides you with important nutrients like iron, vitamin C and pre-biotics. Pair with cut up veggies or your favorite gluten free cracker and you’ll be reenergized in no time.
- Gluten Free Carrot Muffins: Muffins make for an ideal sweet snack and pair perfectly with a cup of coffee or tea. These gluten free carrot muffins provide a veggie boost and can be easily made on a weekend and frozen for whenever you’re in need of a pick-me-up!
These are seriously some of the best gluten free snacks! I hope you’ll give these ideas and recipes a try.
- Biesiekierski JR. What is gluten? Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2017;32:78-81. doi:10.1111/jgh.13703.