I love coleslaw and have a ton of different variations that I play around with throughout the year. This vinegar based slaw can definitely upstage a salad. Full of tart, crisp Granny Smith apples, crunchy red cabbage, and dressed with a zesty red wine vinegar/honey/lime combination, this slaw is fun, delicious, and nutritious. It’s definitely not ordinary and goes well with a variety of dishes, from pulled pork to fish tacos to macaroni and cheese.
CABBAGE APPLE SLAW
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- zest of 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 granny smith apple diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 3 scallions white/light green parts sliced thin
Combine oil, vinegar, honey, zest, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk.
Add cabbage, apple, celery, and scallion whites to bowl and mix thoroughly. Garnish with scallion greens.
Note: can cut back on oil by half if you prefer a lower oil:acid ratio