It’s almost picnic season, which means sun, fun, and lots of food! Picnic Day is April 23, so this month’s Recipe Redux showcases our favorite picnic recipes.
Here at CNC, we love protein-based salads. However, traditional salads are often drowning in mayonnaise, containing hundreds of unnecessary calories. To lighten it up a bit, I’ve swapped out most of the mayo for plain Greek yogurt and added a few flavorful ingredients to help bring out the delicious flavor – so you can feel good about eating chicken salad again. You’re Welcome.
Healthy Chicken Salad
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Olive-oil cooking spray
- 1 pound 2 small whole breasts boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon optional
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup finely diced fennel
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 2 cups red seedless grapes cut in half
- Fiber Rich Crackers or other bread/crackers
Combine salt and pepper in a bowl. Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with some of the salt mixture; place in pan. Reduce heat to medium; cover. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes (flip halfway through cooking time). Remove from pan; set aside. Note: can also grill chicken on an outdoor grill, same procedure applies.
In a bowl, combine yogurt, mustard, chives, tarragon, and remaining salt mixture. Core the apple, and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Place in a medium bowl with lemon juice, and toss to combine. Add fennel, celery, and grapes. Cut reserved chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to salad with yogurt dressing; stir to combine.
Serve on crackers or toast.