This Chipotle, Bean & Barley Chili provides an excellent source of magnesium from beans. Magnesium supports the maintenance of normal muscle and nerve function. This is important to support daily physical activity and cardiovascular function.
Chipotle, Bean, & Barley Chili
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup green or red bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste no salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 5 ounces vegetable stock low sodium
- 3 oz 1/4 can pinto beans, no salt added
- 3 oz 1/4 can chickpeas, no salt added
- 3 oz 1/4 can black beans, no salt added
- 3 oz 1/4 can northern beans, no salt added
- ¼ cup barley pearled
- 6 oz tomatoes diced, low sodium
- 2 ½ teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup chipotle pepper chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Pinch salt
Sauté onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil
Add tomato paste and sauté for another minute. Add cumin and chili powder to create a paste.
Add vegetable stock, beans and barley. Cook for 15 minutes.
Add tomatoes and cook for another 40 minutes until barley is tender.
Add cocoa powder, chipotle pepper, honey and water (to loosen if necessary). Salt to taste.
Total fat 3g
Saturated fat 0g