Recipes for Recovery: Cucumber Lentil Salad
This salad provides an excellent source of vitamin B1 from lentils. Vitamin B1 supports maintenance of mental function and helps regulate metabolism. Lentils are legumes and are also a great source of protein and fiber — the best food combination to curb cravings.
Cucumber Lentil Salad
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice or 2 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 2/3 cup uncooked lentils or 2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups chopped seedless cucumber about 2 medium
- 1 cup grated carrot about 2 medium
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives optional
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
If using dried rice and lentils, cook the rice and lentils according to the package instructions. (It is best to slightly undercook rice and lentils so that they better absorb the vinaigrette.)
In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice and lentils with the cucumber, carrot, and herbs (if desired).
Directions for Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt, honey and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss well.
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g