Try something a little different today…Salmon Cakes with Lemon Crema! These delicious little cakes are a unique twist on the traditional crab cake recipe.
Salmon Cakes with Lemon Crema
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- ¼ Cup Cornmeal or Dried Whole Wheat Bread crumbs
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Large Egg beaten
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chives Chopped
- NOTE: Other herbs and seasonings can work well here such as parsley, dill, or shallots
- 1 Small Lemon zested and juiced, divided
- Note: Reserve lemon juice for crema
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Two 5 or 6 ounce Cans Boneless/Skinless Salmon, drained and finely flaked
- Note: Look for no salt added
- ½ Small Red Bell Pepper cut into ¼-inch dice, about ⅓ cup
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Canola Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
Place the cornmeal, mayonnaise, egg, chives, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Add salmon and bell pepper, and mix until well combined.
Shape the mixture into 8 patties. OPTIONAL: Coat the outside of the patties with extra cornmeal/breadcrumbs.
Heat half the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half the cakes until the bottoms are golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Adjust heat to medium if the bottoms start to burn. Flip the cakes and cook until golden brown, an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining oil and cakes.
Make the lemon crema by mixing together the yogurt and lemon juice. Top the salmon cakes with a sprinkling of chives or other herbs and serve with crema on the side.