Traditional chicken salads are often drowning in mayonnaise, which contains hundreds of unnecessary calories. Instead, a few flavorful ingredients help bring out the delicious flavor so you can feel good about eating chicken salad again. My chicken salad with apples is a perfect blend of healthy and delicious! I like to use Greek yogurt in my chicken salad, making it healthier and deliciously tangy. This chicken is perfect for lunch or dinner and a great addition to lunchboxes everywhere!
Healthy Chicken Salad
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Olive-oil cooking spray
- 1 pound 2 small whole breasts boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon optional
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup finely diced fennel
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 2 cups red seedless grapes cut in half
- Fiber Rich Crackers or other bread/crackers
Combine salt and pepper in a bowl. Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with some of the salt mixture; place in pan. Reduce heat to medium; cover. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes (flip halfway through cooking time). Remove from pan; set aside. Note: can also grill chicken on an outdoor grill, same procedure applies.
In a bowl, combine yogurt, mustard, chives, tarragon, and remaining salt mixture. Core the apple, and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Place in a medium bowl with lemon juice, and toss to combine. Add fennel, celery, and grapes. Cut reserved chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to salad with yogurt dressing; stir to combine.
Serve on crackers of toast.